Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mmm Mmm Good Idea

Some who give me gifts wind up wondering why I have not done anything with their present after a while- why I have chosen to let it sit idle rather than seizing upon it and using it with gusto. It's a complicated thing, but suffice it to say that it is not because I don't like the gift. Still it happens, as it did with a box of chocolate items sent to me on my birthday by my dear mother. Moments before I wrote this I ate one.

The most recent sensation was enjoyment. If all of them are as the first one was, they are rich and sweet, and I will enjoy parceling them out carefully over a period of time. Immediately preceding that enjoyment though was just surprise. I bit into it and discovered that instead of some chocolate or chocolate-flavored lollypop, it was like a little cupcake on a stick. I took that bite and reeled from the discovery, only to reel again when the remainder lurched and fell off its stick onto my computer desk's keyboard tray.

Just before that I was fumbling with the twist-tie (if that is in fact how it is spelled). It was one of those frustrating things where you think you know the way to twist it, and for a while it seems to work. Suddenly though, you realize that it should have been undone by now, and you notice that it's in fact twisting itself back up. You were twisting the same direction the whole time! How did it reverse itself? It's obviously a conspiracy against me personally.

Before that blatantly Dave Barry-derived moment, I was at a total loss for what to write at the end of a long day. It would seem that I have learned a lesson about more promptly opening mailed gifts that I will not soon forget. Had I done so and experienced the above sooner I would have written this sooner, leaving the things I wrote then to be written now or, worse still, not at all. I guess that ultimately makes it out to be a wash, so never mind. The candy was good, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?