Saturday, January 28, 2012

Made In The Shades

I made a trip to the local neighborhood dollar store for  a few necessary items, and noticed that the line was a little longer than I'd like, so I lingered by the impulse buy area adjacent for a minute. I couldn't help but notice the sunglasses. I typically expect the offerings for eyewear at such a place to be poor. That's what I find to be the case typically at even the best of dollar stores, so why should things be any better at less than the best?

I looked at those shades though, and I saw how wrong I was. They had some really decent stuff. I thought that since this was not a one dollar only type of establishment, the nice sunglasses I was looking at must be in excess of that price. I looked them over, admiring this pair and that, but could see no price tag on them. This signified that they were in fact only one dollar. I was amazed, and decided to override my usual reluctance to make an impulse purchase in this case.

I selected a nice pair of mirrored aviator style sunglasses. I have always thought that I could pull that off fairly well, what with the hair, the mustache and the generally 70's quality I seem to have. I wore them home and was pleasantly surprised that they actually worked for the purpose of blocking out the sun. I found them much darker than my prior pair, not to mention more generous in terms of facial coverage. I was happy.

By the time I got home, I was in the grips of buyer's remorse. You might think this would be mild for a purchase of one dollar sunglasses, but you'd be surprised. I questioned whether the color was just right, or whether the shame of the lenses was either. I also worried over whether they had already been damaged. I subsequently passed through this phase and became happy with the sunglasses once again, thanks to the objective assessment of trusted friends. That, readers, is how I do a new pair of shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?