Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Business Brunch

Occasionally, I get asked to lunch for business purposes. Frankly, I don't find it to be a really ideal situation for that. You see in movies how people do a lot of serious talking, and somehow at the end of it their whole entrees are gone. You don't see them eating too much, so there is that mystery of how the food gets eaten. Perhaps they slip it into a napkin and feed it to the dog later. I don't do that myself, so the experience is neither a fully adequate meal or meeting.

That aside, I always do value a free meal and the prospect of work. Recently I was asked to have coffee to discuss a project. That makes sense. You don't have to constantly be drinking the coffee in order to be done with it in a reasonable amount of time. Well, a half-hour delay turned coffee into a meal, and I directed us to a place in my neighborhood that I had been past a thousand times but never had gone into. A situation like this is ideal for crossing a place off my list.

I arrived first and imagined I could wait for my second. I grew alarmed to see the rate at which free tables were occupied, and so I put my name down. We ordered and the food came. It wasn't the food we ordered, but it looked more expensive and so I briefly entertained the idea of accepting it. My second alerted the server however, and our real food followed. I have seen better examples of eggs, toast and potatoes, though the coffee was tolerable.

Altogether I found the experience fairly good, though the meal stayed with me (in a manner of speaking) for longer than I would have liked. I would like to ramp up my productivity, as there are a good number of more restaurants that I'd like to get to, and it's unlikely that I will go to them under other circumstances than a meeting of that kind. I'd like to make it to the cheese steak place on the same street, though I don't know how much I want to gets involved with people who do business over cheese steaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?