Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Last?

I've described a number of costumes that I've worn so far this Halloween season, and you can be excused for getting the idea that I have been consumed entirely by this solitary matter. As it happens, I have devoted no more than forty minutes to the bunch of them in terms of conception. I think about them after the fact far more than I do in anticipation of what I want to do. That's a regrettable habit with me.

I have given some thought to the pitfalls of costumes. You always start with some uncompromising vision, and if you're more motivated than I am, you actually carry it out. Let's suppose, for example, that you want nothing more than to be the female M & M from the commercials, and you procure the whole thing. It starts out great, with you admiring yourself in the mirror before heading out trick or treating or partying (depending on your age).

The costume rapidly becomes an albatross around your neck, perhaps literally for some Coleridge fans. For me the other day, I instantly started regretting the boots I had chosen to wear, for they were too small by a significant degree. I didn't even have to walk far, but my feet were in real sorry shape by the end of the evening. I count myself lucky that they are recovered today. They easily could have been much worse.

You live and you learn. I decided that the eye was not drawn to the boots, and so I could substitute a better-fitting pair with little loss to the integrity of my already haphazard, unfocused costume. Outside of that I think I can pull off the costume. The only thing that gives me qualms is the notion of wearing the thing on public transportation. If it were just trains, I think I'd be fine, but I'll be on buses. If there's trouble, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Frenchie said...

Oh...tricky situation on several counts!

Frenchie said...

Oh...tricky situation on several counts!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?