Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Couple Of Fools

Some people really drive me crazy. I get into these dark moods where I loathe everyone in the world and marvel that anyone ever got anywhere ever considering how dumb and contemptible they all are. These moods are as deep as can be, and it's generally best if I ride them out alone. If I'm among people or trying to do something, it can't help but come out badly. I just can't keep it to myself very easily at all.

There are these people who will come out with some wisdom, and everyone but me will ooh and ah at it like it's some really brilliant philosophy that they've never heard before. The person who says it will sound like they just came up with it and no one ever could have conceived of it before. It sounds to me like some superficial platitude that might have been spouted by some empty-headed- college student who just discovered the same writers that everybody ever has had to read.

Something else that makes me mad is when someone contradicts themselves in shameless fashion. This has come up lately as well. An acquaintance of a vague acquaintance came to my attention online. The former concurred with some reasonable point that the latter made, and then utterly contradicted it in spectacular, vulgar fashion. It was comical to a point, except that it was true and that I wasn't at liberty to weigh in.

What can you do about these things? I'd love to say to these people just what I think of them, but there are plenty of reasons why I don't. I don't relish confrontation, even when it's for some productive purpose. Believe me, this is no productive purpose that we're talking about. If I could see myself putting such a person in their place with a well-reasoned, convincing argument, I might well do it. Probably all I'd be doing is adding more noise and no more understanding.

2 comments:

Frenchie said...

So true. One doesn't have to be in a dark mood to be irritated by ignorance!

Beverly said...

Well put

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?