Thursday, November 15, 2012

Contested

The other day, a friend of mine inquired of me whether I wanted to be in a speculative commercial, and I of course accepted. This was for the big Doritos contest wherein the winner has their commercial played during the Super Bowl and wins a big cash prize. For Doritos the benefits are obvious, but let's not focus on that. The experience and its aftermath are enough for me to write about at length without making things unpleasant.

I knew very little about what the commercial was to be except that it was to take place in an office. I came to find that it was being shot very far away, and the plot of it became apparent to me after arriving. Suffice it to say that the nature of the commercial played much to my strengths, and that while I was far from the focus of it, there was plenty for me to do. Of course, I was granted the task of dancing on camera.

There was plenty to eat and fun times to be had with new friends and old. It all went on about long enough before I was able to leave, technically. Of course, as I had ridden along with one of the head guys of the whole operation, I wasn't going home until he was. This was around 10pm, or something like that. It may have been later. In any event, I found myself hanging around another four or so hours doing less pleasant work than dancing on camera, but still enjoying some fun conversation.

I don't know how things will go for this commercial in the contest. If it were about merit, there are few submissions I have seen so far which were even watchable, so our chances have to be pretty good if merit has anything to do with it. If it does, though, it will be a small factor vying with many others to produce a winner. In any event, it was fun, I spent time with and helped my friends, and I got some more of me on tape. It was a good thing on balance.

2 comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?