Saturday, November 24, 2012

Crowds Allowed

Something that I do not seek out is a crowd. I can put up with it. You can't attend a ballgame without crowds, barring an exceptionally unpopular team. I can deal with crowds in such a situation, and some others. One situation where I can't put up with it is any kind of shopping scenario. Malls are not my favorite thing. I have not spent much time in one in years. There have been a couple incidents where someone got me in one. They were not enjoyable.

A week or so ago, I inquired of my father whether he'd be interested in seeing the new Bond film. I thought I'd have to cajole him, but he was already planning on a group outing for it. All the time leading up to the day I eagerly anticipated. It came, and I found that the plan was to see it at a bustling mall on the day after Thanksgiving. That gave me pause, as you can well imagine. Why could we not see the film at a regular theater?

It had to be a theater at the mall. Parking was tricky, and we had a hell of a time just finding our way inside the mall. Through the Macy's turned out to not be a way. Finally we got in there, and the line to buy tickets was a few minutes. Making it worse was people's insistence on going through the line instead of around it in order to reach the other side. Naturally they each had to do so directly in front of or behind me.

This led to another dreaded act. Saving seats is not pleasant for me. It requires confrontations with strangers. Making things harder was that I had no objects to save seats with. Outer garments work, but being in Arizona, I had none. I was able to turn away some would-be sitters from our prime seats in the row between the seats on risers and the floor seats. That about dispenses with the unpleasantness of it. The movie was fun and I enjoyed the time spend with loved ones.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Oh, seat saving is the pits! That crowd around the theatre is miserable...right in the hubbub of the food court. That alone keeps me away from that place, let alone on black Friday!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?