Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Talk On Not Talking

With the election done with, we ought to be able to enjoy a subsidence in political debate. The reality is that it will not be much of one, and may not last for long. However long we do manage to talk less about politics, we will probably not accomplish any less with it. We just don't seem to get anywhere in talking about politics. For my part, I try to avoid it, but all too often find myself ensnared in the futility anyway.

Of course I don't bring politics up, which is enough some of the time. If it does come up, I try to find some sort of common ground rather than trying to impose my point of view. I'm just not going to have my way. I've never been good at persuading people of something. What I can do all right is find some figment of something I can agree on so that the conversation is a little less unpleasant so long as it goes on.

I do try to bring political conversations to a close as quickly as I can. It helps to not have mounted an attack on the other person's point of view. In the absence of an argument to win, their enthusiasm will hopefully peter out. I also try to make short, closed-ended responses to their remarks and questions as a way of putting the brakes on. A favorite thing of mine to say which fits into a lot of situations is "Hmm..."

Maybe this is no way of furthering my political beliefs or of making friends, but it's how I feel. At my relatively young age, I've come to the conclusion that there's no use in doing much more than gathering information, forming my opinions and casting my votes. I'll just have to hope that most people are of the same opinion as I. Maybe they're more likely to be if I don't make any efforts along those lines. Anyway, I'll have wasted less time and been happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?