Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wanna Do Something?

I never have felt popular. When I was young, I felt profoundly uncool and out it. Even now that I have kind of upped my game and found the right people, I still see myself somewhere in the less social end of what is an exceptionally social group. So it is that I am about as surprised as I am pleased any time that people wind up doing things because I thought it up. As far as those things go, I'm more a joiner than a starter.

The other day, I noticed a bumper crop of good-looking movies at the cheap theater. There was some interest in the idea when I brought it up, but no action on the day when tickets are half price. The next day I was about resigned to the idea of going it alone, but my interest waned as the time approached, and I though of staying home to watch something. Some kind of fortune intervened, however, and that did not come to pass.


I saw something online that happens from time to time. You'll have someone with interest but no opportunity. The body and spirit are both willing, but the mind is unaware of anything to apply them to. Mostly when somebody expresses boredom and demands diversion, I find it off-putting. Somebody of whom I'm rather fond expressed their plight in better terms, and I saw an opportunity to salvage my plan, which I had really given up on. We went and had a fine time.

I suppose that's what one must do. Rather than trying to force particular people into wanting to do your thing, you must find the people who are susceptible to doing your thing. I know enough people that whatever I want to do, there's got to be at least one person I'm crazy about that wants to do it as badly as me or is at least game. Thinking about it that way, it sounds more like a numbers thing and even a certainty, but it still feels like a lovely miracle every time to me.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Awesome...so true!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?