Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chance Of Chance

The other day, I went and sleep through my alarm. I think that's what happened, although my recollection is odd. It seems to me that I woke up before my alarm and went to the bathroom before going back to sleep with the intention of getting back up when the alarm did go off. I think I may have reflexively hit the alarm button and then misread the time on the clock. The point is that I got a late start and left home in a slight hurry.

I always forget things, even in the best of times, and that is exacerbated when I'm running late. On this day I forget a name badge (which was of no consequence) and I forgot to check the weather. You might think that a resident of southern California could disregard the possibility of radical weather changes, but it's less like that than you'd think. Lately, it's been vacillating between a late emergence of real Winter weather and the arrival of proper Spring.

In the days before this day, the weather had been rather chilly even during the day, and I was chagrined to find I wanted my heavy jacket when I'd brought the light one. On this day, I just assumed that the heavy one would be called for, and gave no though to what the weather might be until it was too late and I was hustling out of the building. I found that it was perhaps a bit warm for that jacket, but what is there to do. You can't leave a jacket behind in a car you don't have.

I managed all right, I guess. I didn't ruin the jacket with sweat. The weather was kind even to turn things towards the chilly as I went about my business, making the return trip more pleasant. Of course, the fact that I wasn't hustling to make a bus on the way back could have affected things as well. It doesn't matter what the reason was, though. It wasn't anything to do with good sense on my part, so I will continue to depend on luck.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

What a rigmarole!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?