Friday, March 9, 2012

So Close

You see interesting things at the grocery store when you insist on shopping in the middle of the night. I remember how much of a night owl I felt like when I would go the the grocery store at ten o'clock in the evening, but that doesn't compare to the sights one sees just short of two in the morning at a place that goes all night. It's true enough that most of what you see is inventory waiting in the aisles to be stocked on shelves, but there's more.

Take what I saw the other night when I was looking for something to eat in the absence of anything compelling in my own pantry. As I said, it was almost 2. This is last call at the bars, and also the last chance to buy liquor at such retail establishments that offer it. The last allowable hour at which liquor may be sold is academic in most places, but not this one. I had contemplated buying some on this visit, but reasoned that it would likely prove too late.

A couple of gentleman behind me in line were by no means as assured of that. The cashier warned them of this, and the gentleman ahead of me generously offered them a place ahead of him in line. It was generous on my behalf as well, although I was not myself consulted on whether I'd like to make such a gesture. It proved to be of no avail in any case, as the men still were not in time to legally purchase the vodka they had selected.

I gather that the night cashier has no discretion in just when to cut off liquor sales. This must be so, because while he had been willing moments ago, he suddenly announced that he couldn't do it. No begging and pleading would move him, and while I didn't hear him say that the machine was really the one in charge of that policy, I can only assume such to be the case. I would say that I felt for the guys, but I didn't really. It's always possible to get started on such an endeavor five minutes earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?