Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cooped

It's raining today in Los Angeles. This is no surprise, because it's the big marathon tomorrow. The weather is perfect or nearly so every day of the year except for one in which it's terribly important that it be so good. One must expect that, and one must also expect that I would have mandatory or virtually mandatory engagements on that day as well. I'd love nothing more than to stay in bed all day long with nothing but bathroom breaks, but it's not in the cards.

Of course I was up late carousing last night, and am presently nursing a 'wounded soldier' left over from that. What better way to head off a hangover than to head out into driving rain at 8 in the morning, then to attend a Toastmasters contest? I may have won, but I owe that to my lack of an opponent more so than my very disciplined preparatory work. I wish I could have slept until the parties started in the evening.

It's true enough that there's a gap in between a morning event and a nighttime party, but then you're neglecting my writing and more casual get-togethers with friends to watch movies. If I stayed away from those, I would risk being branded a hermit, and there's no having that. Perhaps I can manage to get some sleeping done during that film, if it offers the least justification by virtue of being very boring at all.

Something that's for sure is that sleep won't come in bunches tonight. There happens to be the hardest-partying holiday of the year (although with my friends virtually every holiday is elevated to that status), and then I have something to get to which necessitates my departure at noon. Ordinarily that would be a late, leisurely hour at which to head out, but I suspect it will be a closer shave than usually this time around. Good thing it's worth it, or I'd stay in and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?