Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Cooked It!

I've made it well known that I'm no good hand in the kitchen. There may be one or two things that I can make, but I avoid doing so if I can and resort to the assembling of multiple ingredients with little enthusiasm. Even some single ingredient things are too much for me to manage, and most methods of cooking an egg fall into that category. As Eastwood said in one film of his or another, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Something that is tricky for me is steak. I certainly cannot manage to cook a steak to any specific level of "done-ness" with accuracy and reliability. I have no interest in even trying without some kind of expert on hand to keep an eye on things (and I naturally prefer this person to be an attractive, unattached lady if possible). The other day, I bought a steak meaning to cook it along with a friend who had likewise bought some cut of meat destined for the grill.

Somehow that never panned out, and he cooked his on his own. I was crestfallen, as I saw no likely opportunity to cook my steak in the presence of someone who could make sure that I wound up with something that could be eaten. I therefore put the steak in the freezer and started hoping for something to come up. Something did come up, as a matter of fact. There was a cookout staged, and I cooked the steak from a frozen block of meat into something edible.

It was no meaningful feat when you put it alongside what other people do, but considered in a vacuum, it was something pretty amazing. I cooked it, ate and have not gotten sick. I reasoned that I could eat steaks in such a manner more often, considering that it came at the cost of around three dollars. That's no fancy cut of meat, but it's tolerably flavorful, exceptionally filling and well within my means. I just may do it, although (as with most things) I would prefer to do it with company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?