Friday, August 15, 2014

Wrappin' It Up

Every day since the 21st of last month, I have been dissecting "Friday The Thirteenth Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan". A quick estimate (which will probably be proved false with just a few minutes work) would be that I've written in excess of ten thousand words on the matter. Many of them have been harshly critical, and you might wonder why I would spend so much time on something I dislike. I hope I've made clear though that I don't dislike it.

I really like it, but I'm clear-eyed enough to see its faults. It disappoints me because of what it could have been. It was all right, but it was definitely a failure in the eyes of those who shelled out the money. Maybe my way isn't what would have made it any more of a financial or a critical success, but I do believe that my ideas at least would have given it more of a chance. I don't know what brought those people to make that movie. Maybe I couldn't have done better, but I sure would have busted my ass to try.

Regardless of the merit of my suggestions (so many years late), I hope you enjoyed reading them. If you've seen the film, I hope there was recognition for you in my words. If you've never seen the film, I hope you felt some new incentive to watch it- not cynically, not with an eye on what's bad, but with an appreciation for what's good. There was love behind every word I wrote, and I think that's the only way this kind of a thing works. No one wants a hateful, unloving critique or parody.

Tomorrow I'll have something else to say. It not being about this movie, it will take a minute for me to call forth an idea, but it's time to move on. If you have any strong feelings about what I've been doing for the last month, I could write more like this, and I probably will at some point, but for now you can expect to see something pretty different. Maybe I will shed light on myself for the first time in a while. Whatever is here tomorrow though, I hope as always that you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?