Friday, September 20, 2013

Quick Break

Yesterday was an interesting day for me. I seem to have hardly anything else anymore. On this day, it was a bit up and down. I started off with a typically enjoyable Toastmasters meeting. It dipped a bit after that, as I was caught up in the frustration of struggling to get my writing done. I was in a genuinely foul and frazzled mood by the early evening, at which time I was planning to attend a variety show at a local nightclub. I reasoned that afterward I'd be tired, but perhaps in a better mood for writing anyway.

A friend and I headed over there, meeting up with a third friend before settling in for the show. They have live music, pole dancing, burlesque, and comedy, all of which I enjoy a great deal. The show was great, but it turned out to have more in store for me than I guessed. I did know that if I dressed well, there was a chance of getting extra attention. As it turned out, I was drafted into the best-dressed contest, ultimately triumphing in a dance-off. That got me a $50 dollar gift certificate to someplace that sounds subversive.

Midway through the show, feeling awfully good, I decide to buy a raffle ticket. That paid off fairly well, as I (and my ticket-buying partner) won a bottle of vodka, four shot glasses and a t-shirt (which I hope don't all spark a "Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" scenario). I was, after that, the recipient of some good-natured jealous razzing, which feels nicer than being the issuer of the same. Following the show, I collected my prizes and headed home to resume my writing.

It really was a boost to my morale at just the right time. As I guessed I would be, I was very tired, but completed my writing goals after a fashion (and I suppose it was a bit faster than it would have been without the inspiration of the evening's activities to complete this particular portion of my daily writing. It just goes to show that going out and participating in life is the thing to do, even when a brooding mental state makes it seem otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?