Sunday, September 1, 2013

New Noise

As I write this, it is rather late. To be precise, it is 1:15 in the morning on the weekend, which some may judge to not be very late. Certainly it can feel less than late, but it feels late enough to me, as I've had a full day. I got up at 8 o'clock this morning to ensure I would be able to watch a football game, and I never had much of a chance to rest.

Some people are having a party over by the barbecue area, which is on the third floor just as my apartment is. They're rather noisy, which is a relative novelty still. For the first year or so that I was in the building, noisy gatherings there (or even within apartments) were rather discouraged. We were always made to believe some other tenant had complained, but the complaints stopped with subsequent building managers.

The first building manager I knew would never have tolerated a gathering like this one, nor would the second, but this third one is seemingly far more tolerant, or else more timid. I'm of two minds, because I value the freedom to have a party where noise is a natural byproduct, but I also value peace and quiet even more. I need far more of that than I need the noisy partying. I can put up with it for a time though, I guess.

I do wonder what they're up to. It's Labor Day weekend, but it's not the Saturday night that you do something, is it? I don't suppose that organized labor is much a concern of these people. They seem nice enough, though. One of them sought to allay any anger I was feeling by stressing to me that things would be wrapping up soon. I'm not sure I believe her, but that she cared what I thought at all was appreciated. I guess it's fine. They can have their party for all I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?