Wednesday, September 4, 2013

An Original

I dug out my copy of "Run Lola Run" yesterday. I hadn't watched it in forever, and it was the first DVD I ever bought. That being the case, I watched it endlessly. I didn't even have that many VHS tapes at the time (not as many as I have now, certainly), and there weren't a lot of options for home video entertainment at the time. The internet didn't have much of it at the time, and so I watched Run Lola Run.

I watched it until I knew by heart the film as well as the commentary track with Franka Potente and Tom Tykwer, the star and director. I guess I haven't watched it since then because there was no need. I'd gotten my fill. It got to the point very quickly where I needed another DVD, any DVD. There had developed already the mainstream big-time releases as well as the cut-rate ones that mainly offered films in the public domain.

One of the best public domain films was and is "Night Of The Living Dead". Because of some legal mistake, George Romero's classic fell into the public domain, and so countless companies released it on DVD in some very barebones fashion. Run Lola Run was as nice a DVD release as there was, having the commentary track, trailers, a music video and more. Night Of The Living Dead looked and sounded lousy, and the only extra I remember it having was a very easy quiz whose answers were drawn from clips of the movie.

I'm a little sorry I don't know where that second disc is. I probably sold it when I fancied myself a wheeler and dealer on Half.com. Somehow it seemed a worthwhile use of my time to list movies and books, packaging them up and taking them to the post office for a profit of pennies. I suspect I took a loss on some, not even counting my original expenditure in purchasing them. Thankfully I never sold Run Lola Run, which holds up still.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?