Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Home Court

I remain a homebody in many respects, as much as I have made strides in becoming a more social person. I am always overriding my natural tendencies, not changing them. One area that remains problematic is sleeping arrangements. It is a terrible struggle for me to sleep under any conditions if I am not at home in my own bed. Whether the conditions are better or worse, it's a problem that things are different.

I don't have the best bed. It's old and not too big. My pillows are worse than that. My room is finally getting to be decently appointed, but it's hardly fantastic. What's important about those things mostly is familiarity and security. I know where things are. I know how they work. I'm alone in there, whereas I seem more often than not to be sharing a room if not a bed (if a bed is even what I have to sleep on, and it seldom is).

There is also the fact that virtually every night for months and months, I have slept with an episode of Mystery Science Theater 300 playing. I find now that it is very difficult to sleep without that, and naturally it's a difficult thing to make happen outside of my own bedroom. I have many sleepless nights on account of the above listed issues and others besides, so I try to avoid ever engaging in things that keep me from my bed at the end of the day.

Something has come about that has me doing just that, though. Friends of mine have moved away from my neighborhood to one far enough that it is impractical for me to travel there and back at the best of times, and late in the evening it is just impossible. As a result, I have spent the night there twice, and repetitions are likely. My deep familiarity with the house's residents and its relatively large size make it a tolerable situation, but it is hardly ideal. I will make do, because friends are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?