Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chemical Writefare

Friday was a busy day for me. It came on the heels of a fairly busy Thursday, all of which I have yet to tell, but here's something from Friday. I had an ambitious schedule for the day. I knew I had an improv performance in the evening, and then there were the things I hoped to do on either side of that. One was the screening of those Friday the 13th films, and I already got into that. The early side of the day was at least as interesting.

I got up at 9am, which is my standard time when there is nothing special going on in the morning and I am not coming off a late night. I spent the next two or three hours catching up on my reading (in particular, the daily emails I had piled up from Politico). I then got serious about what I knew I had to do. I mentioned once before that I am again doing a sketch writing challenge for September. I am writing thirty comedy sketches in thirty days.

By Friday, I had gotten very behind. The week being as hectic as it was, I had not managed to write anything in several days. I need to be pretty free and clear to get real writing done. On Friday, I was resolved to get caught up in one fell swoop. I did not get started until about 1pm or 1:30. I knew I'd have to leave for that show shortly after 6:30. It was a tough challenge I'd set for myself, but the spirit was willing and the flesh was strong.

I should say, actually, that the flesh was strong only because it had near-lethal amounts of caffeine coursing through it. I got those six sketches done in the midst of drinking seven or eight cups of fairly strong tea. By the time I was done, my head was just swimming. I could scarcely think straight enough to locate the saved sketches and upload them for my fellow writers to see. It's a good thing I was taking the subway to that show, because I'm sure it wouldn't have been safe for me to drive. Anyway, I got it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?