Monday, December 31, 2012

Wearing On Me

I like cold weather. Where I grew up, it was blisteringly hot more often than it was so much as brisk out, and so perhaps I see cool weather as a nice change of pace. Certainly that's how it felt when I left home for school. The frigid winters were one more way of getting out on my own. I also feel a certain connection to the older cities of the east, which is appealing to me. Another thing I like about cold weather is that it's jacket weather.

I'm a thin guy, so my frame is slight and my physique less than imposing. I'm not a weakling exactly, but I think it's just as well that some impressive clothes be draped over my figure in order to give me some sort of heft. There are a number of garments that I like getting out once they can be justified- and no sooner. I really hate affectations, and that's a bad one. It's nearly as bad as sunglasses indoors, I think.

There are three jackets that I really like. There's the brown leather jacket I got from my uncle. It's got a cool, weathered look to it, and knowing him, the jacket came by that weathering honestly. I really think it looks better opened up, and I avoid it in wet weather. When it's wet or less cold, I've got this nice lighter blue jacket. I think blue looks good on me, but that jacket also looks best open. The third one, a wool peacoat, probably looks best closed.

Only recently have I acquired sweaters I like. I've got a couple of hooded ones that are OK, but I don't use the hoods, so why bother? No, I favor this Christmas sweater I just got recently. It's a little silly looking, but I enjoy wearing it, and without any sense of irony. I like it even though it has a phony red shirt lining the collar. I wonder how much longer I can get away with wearing it this winter (which, needless to say, I hope lingers long enough to really get some use out of all the above).

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?