Sunday, December 16, 2012

Epic Journey

I have been riding a bike for a while. Sometimes it's for leisure purposes, but it's very commonly just for the practical purpose of transportation. Trips of ten or fifteen minutes are common, sometimes stretching out to half an hour. That amounts to a few miles. My endurance is definitely growing, and I have been riding at length at higher and higher gears. These days, I am often at fourth gear, which feels the way second used to.

The other day, I had a pretty intensive day of riding. It was a busy day, and every place I had to go seemed to necessitate the bike instead of public transit or walking. First, I had to visit my agent's office. That seemed too close to mess around with buses, but actually it must have been something like eight or nine miles round trip. The way back was even lengthier, because I opted for the simpler route instead of the more complicated, shorter one.

After that, I had an audition to go to. I might have forgone the bike, except that I was deathly afraid of the bus I would need after getting off the subway being late. I don't happen to think that the state that a bike ride puts me in is conducive to an incredibly successful audition, but I reasoned that as I had ten or fifteen minutes to spare upon arrival, I would be able to pull myself together (including restoring my hair to its pre-helmet condition).

Upon the conclusion of the audition, it occurred to me that I could make a birthday dinner over in Burbank before an improv show that I was set to perform in. It was my preference to get the bike home and then catch a bus to the restaurant before hitching a ride to the show with a friend, but there seemed to be no time. By the time I got to the restaurant, my legs were worn out. I figure that I must have rode something in the area of fourteen miles altogether, which I will try to avoid in future.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

So, how's it going with that? You feel safe and confident the traffic respects bike riders?

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?