Monday, December 3, 2012

Voice A Choice

Something I haven't given any thought to in quite some time is cereal. That used to be the standard breakfast for me as a boy, and I have gotten away from it since college. I suppose that it could be seen as not a very mature thing to eat, at least if one is eating certain brands. I never really did have a lot of the bad, sugary kids' cereals anyway. At worst, I was in the midrange of cereals that played to kids but at least had a semblance of nutrition.

As I said, these days I don't eat cereal. I mainly eat hash browns, and occasionally will do something like Pop Tarts. I've done oatmeal, but that's not for me and probably never will be. Some time ago, I was making pancakes a bit, but the effort involved is a deterrent. The same is true of most egg-based breakfasts, including the hard boiled eggs that I was doing a while ago. For now, it's just those hash browns.

I do sometimes have a taste for cereal. My roommate eats it a fair amount of the time, and eggs as well. It comes down to practicality for me. Now, you could say that there are few meals easier to get together than cereal, and that's a fair point. That would still be to underestimate just how little effort I'm ready to make. There's also the matter of milk. There's a lot of pressure to use up the milk (and therefore to order the right amount, which pricing makes difficult).

Perhaps I will soon take the plunge. There is not so much at stake if it doesn't go my way, and I'm sure it would be a real shot in the arm to my daily routine. There is tremendous value in shaking things up, even when it is as mere a change as a different breakfast. Those things affect the whole rest of the day. That's why they call it the most important meal of the day. All right, I've talked myself into it. Cold cereal will be my next breakfast, and damned be the consequences.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Maybe sooner than you think

Frenchie said...

Sounds like a good idea. Drinking milk or a non dairy variety is good for you!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?