Saturday, December 8, 2012

Dress Right

The other day, I had need of a Christmas sweater. It was, of course, one of those themed parties where everyone is supposed to have one. Like most of those parties, the theme was indifferently received by attendees, but for once I was one of those who actually made the effort. I would like to have come up with a gaudier, more ugly sweater, but technically the terms of the party did not require that it be so- only that it be a classy sweater. I did fairly well.

Of course, I did not try to find anything until the day of the party, and even then I was making minimal effort. I went to one nearby thrift store (chatting along the way with a friend who I bumped into) and found that they had already been stripped of all possible holiday garb. It turns out that such parties have become so fashionable that the sweaters are actually in demand. I didn't leave empty-handed, though. I bought eight VHS tapes, because I have a sort of a compulsion there.

I went over this haul with glee upon arriving home, but after a couple hours resolved that I really needed to get back on task, and I headed out for a different thrift store with the intention of either finding something there or going home for my bicycle to start visiting stores further afield. As it worked out, a neighbor (and dear friend) was walking her dog right there by my building, and we got to talking. She also needed sweaters for that party, and so we went off together.

There was nothing to be had at that store, and so we sallied forth to find something in more fertile territory. This third store initial seemed to be a dead end until we spotted a fellow shopper hauling several sweaters around. We trailed him, and laid in wait as he tried them on. Sure enough, he left some behind, and we pounced. I found a lovely Christmas tree sweater with a false red shirt underneath its contrasting green, and my friend Nora picked up some great stuff as well. It was a proud moment, and we were unquestionably in the right number at the party that evening.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

That is so cool!!! I like that kind of spirit! WY to go VOK!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?