Monday, December 24, 2012

Slick

It's funny how often the streets are wet in Los Angeles, considering how seldom it rains. Like my hometown of Phoenix, the city has a lot of people who thing that lawns of green grass are their birthright just because that's how things were back where they came from. That's just a guess born from personal frustration, you understand. Water is scarce everywhere now, and most of all places like LA and Phoenix.

Wet streets present their own issues. People adjust poorly to slick roads, or at least it seems so. I was taught in drivers' education to be very cautious when driving in the rain. One must lengthen the distance between cars and slow down. That knowledge is academic to me, as I don't drive, but most people could benefit from hearing it. They don't seem to have had such good lessons as I. It's almost enough to make you sorry for the rain happening in addition to all the cultivating of lawns.

Of course, there are some good points to the rain being wet, however it happens. Wet streets tend to be rather picturesque, or so many filmmakers are inclined to think. When wet, the roads reflect lights and all manner of other ambient imagery. It really is rather pleasant to look at, and it can't hurt that a fair amount of filth has been scrubbed away. Maybe not the same filth described in "Taxi Driver", but filth of a practical sort in any case.

I like walking the streets when it's rained. I'm not much for riding my bicycle that way, but not because it's dangerous. I don't like getting the tires wet, because then I have to worry over tracking it inside the apartment. Staying inside, I don't have to concern myself with any of the inconveniences of wet streets, but regrettably I can't admire them from in there. One must suffer the consequences of a thing in order to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?