Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Temp

Today I take refuge in that pitiful subject, the weather. Don't think that I find any pleasure in it. In any case, I have formed an opinion of the weather we've had lately here in Los Angeles, but am reluctant to share it. I'm afraid that I may be very wrong, although under ordinary circumstances it would be crazy to entertain the very idea. These are not ordinary circumstances though, the modern climate being what it is.

You see, it seems to me that we may finally have taken a permanent turn for cooler weather- that we have put the heat of summer behind us. That would seem like a reasonable opinion in the waning days of October, except that we've had a number of false alarms. Several times have we endured fresh heat waves after an interval of cruelly cool weather. These bouts of pleasantness have each lasted enough to give us new hope.

How could it get hot again on us this year? I dread the answer, for it surely could. I would just as soon not find out the manner of it. I believe that the last couple years at least, we had long set aside the air conditioning unit by now, content to rely on open windows. This year we have not yet gotten there. I feel as if there have been hotter summers for me, but not during years in which I resided someplace with dependable air conditioning. 2008 was very hard.

Well, perhaps we will be blessed with coolness into the spring. I welcome it, and not merely for the comfort of it. There's the fashion angle to consider. I have long considered that I look good in a jacket, but that no one looks good in a jacket when observers know very well that the jacket is an affectation. Temperatures in the high 90s make it plain to all that such is the case. I need a cold snap, therefore, for many reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?