Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I Stand Alone On Standup

The other night, I was at a comedy show. Specifically, this was a regular standup comedy show which regularly features a mix of promising unknowns and big names. There's appeal with each of those. The  up and comers are putting their best foot forward in hopes of further climbing the ladder. The established stars are worth watching even if they're trying unproven material, which is a necessary step in the process before you see them on television.

On this particular night, all the unknowns were great. I should say that I use that term loosely, as several would be well known to those well-versed in the local comedy scene, but would in fact be unfamiliar to most. In any case, they were great. The host was all right too, but I was not sorry when he was done with his own material. He also has yet to master the subtle art of hosting, which I can confirm is challenging.

The established names were a mixed bag. Some were a blast, and others were missing badly with things they were doing. I am understanding of that to a point. I am as yet inexperienced as a standup myself. I'll grant myself the charity of saying that I have some promise as a writer of material if I don't wreck it too badly in the execution on stage. Anyway, I have my opinions on how "workshopping" of material ought to go.

It's true enough that you don't know how jokes are going to play, no matter what you think of them personally. Who would try jokes they don't think have a fighting chance? Well, it looked like that's what some of the big names were doing. I'm sure I'm mistaken there, but one can't help perceptions. What I'm not mistaken about is that some of the comics needed to consult their notes at numerous points. Maybe it's unfair to say so, but I think it's reasonable to memorize the key points that you plan on hitting.

Having discussed this matter with multiple people already and not having persuaded them of my viewpoints, I must admit first that I am bad at influencing people and secondly that I may well be entirely incorrect about all of this. It seems that I was alone in being discontented, which is not unusual. It often happens that I am by myself in my thinking, but that's OK. I'll profit more anytime I'm right.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Good, solid commentary!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?