Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What Became

I was watching "He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe" the other night while purportedly brainstorming, and thought about the action figures whose sales were the purpose of the show. I had a vast collection of them, and I recall well the large cardboard box which contained them. For a long time it also contained some loose tater tots, which is a fact that I can neither explain or defend. I can merely remember it.

It's more pleasant to remember the action figures. In truth, I don't know that I had watched too much of the show at that time, but the figures certainly entertained me. I would take them out to the backyard and enact adventures all by myself. As my sister was too young to partake (and moreover, was a girl with her own collection of increasingly mangled Barbies), this was the default situation. I was content, if memory serves.

No more than a few of the figures stand out in my memory. There was a He-Man whose chest could be made to display "battle damage". It's curious to think of the fun that was had in inflicting gruesome wounds on one's hero. There was also Stinkor, who was an anthropomorphic skunk. The figure was made to smell as bad as the character, and I only recently discovered that the method employed to achieve this was the application of patchouli oil. The makers of the toy clearly had strong feelings about  those commonly known to use patchouli.

Naturally I don't have those figures anymore. As I've come to admit they were dolls as much as anything my sister had, I doubt I'd have them anyway, but they were ripped from my possession when it was decided that a neighbor boy ought to have them. It was a case of charity, but it felt very unjust at the time. He proceeded to lose the whole collection in short order, and this was no surprise. I wonder what became of the toys, and of the boy.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

The things parents make children do.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?