Sunday, August 12, 2012

More Sandwich Talk

I have entered a new evolution in my ongoing quest to eat normal, human food. I've mentioned how I buy proper meat, cheese and bread to make sandwiches. I'm a long way already from the bologna and knockoff Kraft singles sandwiches that I once made with what was only technically bread, but there is always more that I can do to provide my body with something like the fuel that it needs to go at full-speed for very long without breaking down.

Thanks to a gift of assorted fancy mustards, I cannot bear the cheap kind any longer. I have now attempted to find the middle ground, but I fear that merely being in a glass container may not make the mustard good enough. I think I may have to buy the very best in order to satisfy my nascent inner picky eater. The one I bought is inexplicably sweet in spite of being stone ground mustard. Perhaps the flavor of the cranberry mustard lingers.

There are also some rather ordinary changes. I am not accustomed to putting lettuce on my sandwiches, as greens are not an automatic sandwich component to the likes of me, but I am trying to get in that habit. I also have bought pickle slices. I had thought there to be a risk that I might not go through them all while they were at their best, but badly underestimated my willingness to snack on them. Perhaps I will also, like when I was a boy, drink the pickle brine. I'll try to resist.

Even the bread is sometimes upgraded to fresh French baguette. That's a special treat that I grant myself only one in a while, as I would hate to diminish the rarity of it or spend the money. The sandwich of this configuration has become an eagerly anticipated highlight of every day, and is ample enough that I do not wind up eating several a day and feeling sick. My customary cans of ravioli are not so good to my system, but a significant improvement upon dinner is just going to have to wait. 

2 comments:

Frenchie said...

Awesome! It sounds wonderful! Must bring you back to the Jason's Deli days!

Beverly said...

I like swirled rye with cheese and turkey. Maybe mayo, maybe not. I do not want a fancy sandwich, but I do not want white or wheat bread.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?