Thursday, August 16, 2012

Protection

They were running "Crocodile Dundee" on television the other day, and so I naturally got to thinking about what weapons I have on hand to defend myself. Mick Dundee, as portrayed in the film, is best known for his larger-than-most knife, with which he shamed a New York City street thug. If memory serves, he might have had other weapons on hand as well. I don't remember guns being a big thing for him, as it seemed he mostly relied on wits.

Hopefully I can depend on my wits as well. I will need that to supplement my strength and speed, although it is my hope that I can improve those over time. Regrettably, that may not come in time, and so I take inventory of weapons that may level the playing field. They do not include guns, I hasten to say. I have had a modest amount of experience with firearms, but never have owned one. I may at some point in the future, but it is not likely to be soon enough.

I have a few knives around the house, apart from those in the kitchen. There are perhaps a couple that would be of value for defensive purposes. Both are of modest size. Someplace I have a rather large Gurkha Kukhri knife, but it is not here with me in Los Angeles. I believe is it somewhere back home. That would be handy, considering its greater heft. As it is, the others will have to do. There's no reason to think they should be insufficient.

There are also some items around that are not meant to be used as weapons, but which might be made to serve in a pinch. Of course there are a lot of the usual very heavy items as well as those which are either sharp or pointy. Maybe I could use one of my larger books, or a pencil. There are also the aforementioned kitchen implements. Of course, since we have no generous "Stand Your Ground" law here, I am most likely to defend myself with a phone call to the police.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?