Monday, August 6, 2012

Merits Of A Cruise

Something rather rare happened the other day. I was watching television, and a commercial came on for some cruise being planned. Cruises never sound too good to me. At best, it seems like you're around a lot of retirees and obnoxious families with money to through around. That's at least who I imagine to be taking a lot of cruises. At worst, you're confined to a giant, floating petri dish of disease, and God knows the thing could sink.

This one cruise sounded all right, though. A couple of former Olympians are supposed to be competing in a decathlon aboard the ship. I think that's what they were saying, although maybe it was just some commercial gimmick to emphasize that they would be on board. I think it was real, though. It sounded rather interesting, and I just about could imagine going for that if I had cruise money to throw around. I certainly don't, but maybe some day.

Some elements of a cruise sound appealing. I don't relish the idea of spending my time on what is essentially a floating city. I wouldn't want a ship too big. I'd want to remember I was in a ship at all, but those things are so big you can't even feel them moving. What's the fun of that? I'd want to know the hardships of being at sea, or else what's the point of hitting any ports of call anyway? Don't get me wrong: I want plenty of the niceties and conveniences of land, but let's not go overboard.

Some of the cheesy stuff from typical cruises would be fun. I'd love to see some slick lounge singer, and to play some shuffleboard on the deck. I don't believe I'd do any sunbathing, but I'd surely admire the progress of any ladies who would. Really, I'd rather be on a yacht of modest size. That's how you really experience the sea, in my opinion. I don't know a whole lot about any of it, but I always seek out authenticity, and a ship taller than a tall building just doesn't make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?