Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tree

I was thinking idly yesterday that I would like to get a little Christmas tree. With a previous roommate, I had acquired and decorated a very small tree of perhaps a couple feet. When we went our separate ways, we had split up the stuff. I suppose that I had come out on the short end of it, because all I seem to have is the single string of lights we bought. I think he must have both the tree and the garland, although I can't say I miss the messy garland, which shed tinsel readily.

I wonder if the time is now to buy a tree and all. It seems likely enough to me that there will be severe discounts on things following this Christmas season, as stores never do seem to accurately assess their needs where such things are concerned. That would mean not having what I want in time this year, but being ready next year. I did razz a roommate for operating alone those lines in another matter, so perhaps I ought not do the same if I am to be consistent.

A little tree would suffice. Our apartment is none too large, and might not easily accommodate a tree of the size that I typically had growing up. There is in the small tree something cute. I never much cared for the ragged Charlie Brown type tree, but I always admired the perseverance that I saw in making the most of not much. I think of the scrub vegetation that was made into Christmas trees in World War 2. They would decorate it with chaff, which was a metallic countermeasure used to trick radar in the air campaigns.

I expect that I can do better than that, and when one can exceed the achievements of genuine American heroes, that is really to be commended. I may not get a tree now, especially considering that I don't intend to be around on Christmas day this year anyway, but I may get one still, and I expect that if I do I will have plenty to say. Let's just hope that things don't go the way of last year's post-Christmas live poinsettias in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?