Sunday, December 11, 2011

Noises Off, For Real

Having had the experience of that very loud punk concert a while back now, it seems worth contemplating a contrasting experience. Living in an apartment building (especially with roommates), one must be courteous of those all around. Noise is a constant problem. Were we to make too much noise at night, we would be apt to hear from the neighbors. That hasn't happened to us, though it has to friends within the building.

It's more important still to be considerate of one's own roommates. One of my roommates and I were cognizant of the third trying to sleep, and so we sort of made a game out of being as quiet as could be. Really, we were being quieter than we needed to be. As I said it was a game, and the silence was broken numerous times from muffled laughing. Still, it was a most edifying experience for me, as I imagine it was for my fellow contestant.

What's astounding is how much noise every little thing makes. We're in this world that is as much man-made as it is nature, and in a city like this the balance is tipped even further. Everything makes noise, from the traffic, heavy machinery and minor appliances all the way down to candy wrappers and the tapping of one's fingernail on a hard surface. We could hear it all when we restrained ourselves as much as possible and pay attention to everything that remained.

I was told of a power outage that shut off all the electronics in a wide area for quite some time. It was reported to me as quite a thing to hear true quiet. Having spent my childhood in Boy Scouts, I have had the experience of being further from the city's noises and lights than most people. It's a rewarding experience. Just to hear how loud it is to break a potato chip in two, though- that might be the most incredible thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?