Saturday, December 17, 2011

Easy Ride

As I write this, I struggle with the fear that I have covered this ground before, but one cannot by fear be kept from action. The thing is that a neighbor of mine- a good friend- has this lovable dog. It's a pit bull, but it is one that does not deserve the bad name that the breed has in many quarters. Some would have us all believe that the breed as a whole should not be regarded as mean or violent. I don't know much about that, but this dog is a danger only through its boundless enthusiasm for making friends.

The dog doesn't cope well with being cooped up, and its owners would not have it confined all day. It (she) is given plenty of opportunities to stretch its legs and void herself. Not always are the owners themselves at liberty to take her out, and so she is entrusted to a select circle of outsiders. I am one of these, and I take seriously the responsibility. For anything to happen to her on my watch is just unthinkable.

I don't generally relish such responsibility where there is no reward, but here there is one, albeit not especially one of a monetary nature. My reward is in being to the dog something like a grandparent. A grandparent reaps all the benefits of a child-respect, adulation and such- but comes in for none or few of the well-know downsides of child possession. They can fill up the child with candy and other irresponsible treats and duck out before the calamitous outcome of that.

I don't mean to say that I am irresponsible with the dog, but I do get to play with her without buying a lot of food, equipment and medical treatment. I am content to keep my level of involvement with pets right there. I am out no money, my home remains as I left it every time I come home, and I can have at least a few moments to myself here and there where I can look to my own interests rather than those of any living thing that depends on me. For the time being, I find that appealing. The dog is preposterously cute and fun to play with, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?