Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hobo's Delight

Sometimes I am hungry and lazy at the same time. Actually, I should say most times. I start off doing something like eating slices of bread. I know I shouldn't. There is in my mind that lesson from my father about adding value to individual food items by combining them into something that is more than the some of his parts, although he never exactly put it into those words. I believe it was as simple as "Don't just eat bread; make a sandwich!"

I do make the effort to concoct something a little more involved, although sometimes it doesn't start out that way. The other day, I was going to just eat bread. It occurred to me that it would be a bit more flavorful if I spread some hot sauce on it, and I did so. It further seemed that it might be even better to lay some tomato sauce over that. I then remembered that I had a pack of revolting cut-rate individually-wrapped cheese slices, and figured that I might lay some of that on what I already had.

This had the effect of rendering the creation more substantial and the cheese somewhat more palatable. As you hardly need me to tell you, I had something of a pizza on my hands now. I hesitate even to call it a bachelor-style one, for it was perhaps more makeshift even than that, and yet it seems a little more difficult of a feat than a hobo could manage. After all, I had at my disposal an oven to heat the whole thing up and melt the cheese.

Then again, the hobo might have used the oven better than I did. As was once so often the case, I ignored the oven's bell and continued with what was occupying my attention at the computer for several minutes. Realization then hit me, and I rushed to the oven to recover what I had in there. I found that it was burned and blackened, but I was undaunted. I'm a real trooper when it comes to either eating food or throwing it away. It wasn't too bad. I may try again and see if I can get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?