Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Commercial Television

I like watching television. I don't seem to watch as much as I maybe once did, but then I think I watch a generally higher caliber of shows these days. Even given the fewer hours spent watching shows, I think it's interesting what you can learn. I don't mean the shows themselves so much, although there is a lot in that also. Sometimes we see our perception of the world we live in, and sometimes it's the world we wish for. Sometimes it's what we fear will come.

As I said though, that's not what interests me so much. It's really the commercials. When you pay attention, you realize how much they reveal about you. They don't necessarily sell products for you personally, but they do always sell products for the better part of the audience of the show in question. It adds up when you think about it, but you don't really think about it a lot, I think. That's probably for the best.

It can be very unsettling to see what company you're in. I love watching old shows, and you tend to see some rather pathetic stuff. There are a lot of commercials for pills that address urinary trouble. There are ones for dubiously collectible coins. There are commercials for Humane Society fundraising (and not to digress, but I find it curious that we would treat animals 'humanely'). These are not things that I would care to be associated with before hitting thirty.

What is there to do about it? I may be thirty in body, but clearly in mind I'm about ready for the grave. I mean that in some respects only, of course. My tastes may skew a little old- at times- but I have not yet really achieved the maturity to go with the sensibility that has me enjoying the thrilling adventures of scuba diver Mike Nelson in 'Sea Hunt'. I just hope that I get it before I need those pills or covet those bogus coins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?