Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Food I Want

Yesterday I managed to do something that I hadn't done in far too long. In spite of my best intentions I hadn't managed to do it. I felt like I would have sooner if I had felt any support from those around me, if they had shown any interested in doing it alongside me, but that's not much of an excuse. What I want to do, I should be able to do readily even if I stand alone. Still, I hadn't done it, and that is entirely on me. I accept it.

There's no need for recrimination any longer, for I have done it: I have eaten Chinese food. I don't know what it is, but the people I know here in Los Angeles have little appetite for the cuisine of China. They like Japanese food, they like Thai food and they like Korean food (sometimes fused with always-popular Mexican food), but they just do not have any enthusiasm for Chinese food, which I have always myself loved.

I can't explain it, but it's not for me to know why they don't eat it with gusto as I do. It doesn't profit me to know. What I know is that I like it. When I was living in Chicago and almost never eating out, I was eating Chinese more than about anything. Gyros were close, as were hot dogs, but I really went for the Chinese food. Those days are past though, and I could scarcely guess when I last had Chinese. It has probably been years. I may not have had any since I moved to LA, and that would be some four years.

I wonder if I will go for it more now. It's not as if there's none to be had nearby. I know precisely where there is one within very reasonable walking distance. It is in fact markedly closer than my grocery store, which I don't think twice about going to on foot. when I am sick and need medicine. There are plenty of them around, and so practicality is not the concern. I really prefer to eat with company, so much more do I value friends these days, but I can do without them in order to eat what I want to. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?