Friday, May 15, 2009

Pop Culture Questions

I thought that I would take some famous questions out of pop culture, and answer them as best I can. To begin:

Jimi Hendrix: "Are You Experienced?"

My reply: To a moderate degree, I am. As compared to other my age, probably I'm less experienced than the average. Compared to my elders, certainly I barely have any. I'm coming along though, and being in LA separate from friends and family has lent itself to the breaking of new ground on my part. Now, if it's a yes or no to whether I'm experienced in the sense that Jimi probably meant, I would have to say, "No".

Doctor Pepper/7-Up Company asks: "Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?"

This calls into question my identity, suggesting that I am what I drink, not just in the sense that I am its contents, but that I am its brand. The question pre-supposes that I'm not a Pepper already, and I'd say that's probably true. But could I be a Pepper in any case? I don't feel I could be strictly loyal to that drink and that brand. Even if I could, would that shape and form my identity so fully? I can't agree that it would. Would I like to be a Pepper (were it possible) in addition to presumed others who are such now? I feel that my current identity, formed by the contributions from my parents in addition to somewhat accurate observations about my various traits made by those who know me, is sufficient, and would not be improved by such a switch as the people behind Dr. Pepper suggest. The answer, then? A clear and firm "No".

There you have it: negative answers on both questions looming large in my mind. Now, that's enough for now. Perhaps I'll revisit this notion in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?