Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Romanced

I watched "Romancing The Stone" the other day. I'd first heard of it through jokes that were made about its title. I think it might have been an episode of "Roseanne" that alluded to an adult film called "Romancing The Bone". I didn't know the film it was a reference to, and I'm not altogether sure at the time that I understood the meaning the words would have in the context of and adult film either. I eventually learned some about both.

I eventually gathered that Romancing The Stone was supposed to be a pretty good movie, and so it proved to be. Kathleen Turner plays a romance novelist who, not so unlike me, has not lived an incredible amount. Her work expresses the aspiration to change that. Change it she does when a crisis erupts with her sister, and she meets up with bedraggled rogue Michael Douglass. They wind up contending with a few rough characters.

It's a fun movie. I felt glad that they were constrained by the state of effects at the time. The characters are pretty well invested in, so it mattered to me down the line what happened to them. Maybe they just weren't confident that people would find those effects to be enough, so they made sure that interesting people had a compelling journey. Maybe they were just that dedicated to telling a good story, but what matters is the result.

There's a sequel that I've heard mixed things about, "The Jewel Of The Nile". There can be good sequels, but I wonder if this could be one of them. It feels like one of those unrepeatable sorts of movies where it's just too much to accept that someone would have such incredible things happen in their life again. A person would have PTSD from the adventure of the first film, and how would something like that happen again anyway? I may pass on the sequel. We'll just see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?