Sunday, July 13, 2014

Not So Much

I found myself watching a movie last night that was not of my choosing. It is fine that I see movies from time that I am not eager to. Nothing will change for me if I don't change anything ever. Change is not inherently good, though. It's just different. This movie was different, but in my eyes it wasn't good. It was called "Rigor Mortis", I think, and I think also that it was from Hong Kong. I didn't go crazy for it, I'll say.

It concerned some people living in a building and working at a restaurant. The first act, which established their live at those places, held me ok. Midway through it lost me, and my perception of it from then on is inextricably tied to my perception of my phone and social networks. Anyway, these people wind up having a whole dramatic incident with vampires and stabbing and so forth, and there were aspects of that I admit I liked.

It was pretty enough. Glancing up from my phone, I usually liked what I saw but didn't understand anymore how it connected to what I'd seen and heard before. I did not seem to connect to the characters, nor did the way in which they connected to each other do anything for me. Were I sixteen again, that maybe wouldn't matter, but these days I insist that I care about even characters who are destined for nothing more than massacre.

I expressed to a fellow viewer that it fell in the regrettable valley (to borrow and adapt a phrase) between poorly made enough to be interesting and good enough to be interesting. It was a pretty good movie, I guess, but every good car isn't going to draw me, nor is every attractive and substantial woman going to elicit feelings of love. This movie just didn't grab me. That oughtn't make its makers concerned, since the way I feel about anything has never yet been decisive or impactful, and it may never be either. Anyway, you might very well like "Rigor Mortis" if you like Asian horror movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?