Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Dress Ups

I find myself with the need to assemble a costume. There's a horror film trivia night, and while they don't usually do this, they're encouraging people to dress in costume. Specifically they're looking for 80's horror costumes. I'm not consumed with the need to wear costumes. The main thing is that I'm lazy. I can think up costumes it would be neat to wear all day, but I do not relish the effort or the expense. I could say I don't have a psychological need to cover myself in that way, which could be true, but it's really not relevant.

There used to be all these costume parties, but those dried up. Maybe all at once we got weary of doing that, when we could drink and eat snacks without it. Maybe also my lack of commitment was noticed, these parties are still happening and I am merely not invited. There still are several costume-requiring events around Halloween, and auditions also call for some level of costume, but the burden is less. This costume will be more involved.

The thing is that the people who go to this trivia night are entirely consumed by horror movies. For a number of them it is their profession, and even for those who work in some other field, they are deeply invested in it all, and they will spare no expense or effort to put together a great costume. My best effort will not put me at more than half of theirs, which is very generous to me. The most I can hope for is to show that I noticed what I was supposed to do.

I decided that I should go for a costume that hides my head, since there are only so many characters with hair like mine, and I can't think of any really (save one played by a man who probably will be there in person). I reasoned that I could conceivably manage Jason Voorhees as he appeared in "Friday The 13th Part 2". That's an important distinction because he was not wearing the hockey mask. He came by that in the third film. In the second he wore a sort of potato sack which, if I can come by one, will allow me to cover the hair.

The rest of the costume is fairly commonplace. There's overalls, a plaid flannel shirt, boots and a pick. The pick will likely be tough. It may not be possible, but I figure any number of improvised implements of violence are possible, as the character is identified with several. I'll probably be fudging on several aspects of the costume, so I doubt I'll have a shot at any prize, but at least I can say if I really try that I really tried, and that will show I made an effort at meeting community halfway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?