Monday, July 14, 2014

Put To Bed

I have in recent days addressed aspects of the leadup to my fifth sketch with iO West's "Top Story Weekly" news-based sketch show. The sketch has happened and I am glad to, without having even been asked, say just how it went. The whole thing began rather inauspiciously when everyone I invited had to pull out due to one conflict or another. That was quite disappointing (for everyone involved I'm sure). I managed to not be very lonely thanks to the friends I've made through the show and other endeavors there at the theater.

After chatting with friends, securing my ticket and dropping off a wig needed for another sketch (worthy of being written up here itself), it was time for the show. I though of sitting with friends from the show in the balcony where I often do, but decided I wanted to sit down on the floor where I'd better be able to feel how the crowd was, and better be able to see my sketch and the rest of the show as well. That is just how the order of things was, as my sketch was first. I'd never gotten to see my stuff without waiting before, so that was gratifying.

I knew of course that the sketch wouldn't be exactly as I'd written it. You get rewritten, and thing are altered in rehearsals, and things just happen while the sketch is happening. Still, most of the sketch played out just as I'd written it. There is no feeling quite like seeing words you conceived of being spoken and loved by an audience. Even speaking the words yourself, as I've done, is not exactly the same as this, where you stand outside of the performance and can see it happen objectively.

I think it's fair to say that my sketch went well. I would have thought so myself, which is really something, but I was also told so by a number of people who had no good cause to lie. It felt very good to have a popular sketch as opposed to merely a two line joke (or even several two line jokes). I hung around much of the night talking with this person and that, which is the best indication of all that I had done well and felt good. It was a good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?