Sunday, May 5, 2013

Stick To Principles

While on a trip to Big Bear Lake (which is ongoing), my friends and I took a little walking tour of the town. There is fairly little to it, or so I gathered from the experience. There were some rather neat shops that we looked in on, one of which was a thrift store. They had little of appeal, outside of one or two things. One friend bought a trophy that was evidently made for some TV show, and I bought something of my own.

It was a pair of buttons for a political campaign run by one Jane Camp. A cursory internet search turns up no evidence of a Jane Camp or her run for governor (which seems to have been successful, as the second button lobbies for her reelection). The possibility that Jane Camp is fictional suggests itself, but whether she is real or fake, there would seemingly be some hits from internet searches. It's inconsequential, anyway.

The point is that for a little bit, I was rather amused by campaigning loudly on her behalf among my friends, most of whom were indifferent or even hostile to my fervent efforts. My resolve has not been weakened by this. I remain confident that Jane Camp is the right candidate for governor of whatever real or fiction state is concerned, and I remain sure that it is my responsibility to work towards her re-election.

There are sacrifices to be made, of course. The main one is that these buttons are affixed using a pin, and that means poking holes in whatever they go on. I hate doing that, as I used to have to do with my Toastmasters badge. I was very glad at the time when I obtained one that used a magnet instead of a pin. Someday, when Jane Camp is seeking the highest office in the land, perhaps she will have those magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?