Saturday, May 18, 2013

Regrets

A good while ago, some friends and I watched the Sylvester Stallone/Kurt Russell film "Tango & Cash", and I enjoyed it. I then moved on and didn't think much about it, or at least I didn't until I found it someplace on VHS. I bought it and left it lying around at home. Eventually I watched it again, and I found that I loved it. I proceeded to play it continuously every day for a long time. Whenever I was at home and doing something where I could have that movie on, I did. I got to know it fairly well.

It's funny what repeated viewings of a movie uncover. I guess it shows poor viewing comprehension on my part, because there are things I finally notice after dozens of viewings, and I wonder how I didn't pick up on something cool or hilarious the very first time. It really does pay off to watch something a lot of times, but I sure wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love it from the beginning. I don't get the idea of watching something even a second time hoping to like it.

Anyway, here's an older movie (from the late 80s) that I dearly love but have only seen on the small screen. For most people, it would have to stay there, but I'm lucky enough to live in Los Angeles. LA has its faults, but one really nice thing about it is how many places screen old movies. It so happens that a place that a friend knows about ran none other than Tango & Cash last night, and of course I was desperate to attend.

I couldn't, regrettably. Fate, cruel as it is, had other plans. It is fairly rare that I have an early morning any day of the week, let alone on a Saturday. Of course it had to be that the Saturday after this midnight screening that I had to get up very early and be good to go about all day long. At first I just resolved to go to the movie and push through the aftermath, but was made to see reason after hitting all the stages of grief. Oh, well: a city awesome enough to run "Tango & Cash" once is awesome enough to do it a second time some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?