Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Notable Potable

I bought a bottle of rye whiskey. I've been meaning to buy some for a while. I think that the last time I had some liquor at home must have been at least a couple years ago, incredibly enough. I'd bought a bottle of Irish whiskey, and it was my intention to make a regular thing of having a drink in the evening while reading or writing. I'd like to think it was never an affectation. I do enjoy the whiskey, and it has a certain positive influence.

Anyway, this new whiskey is rather interesting. As I said, it's rye whiskey. Specifically it's Maple rye. Lest you think otherwise, I will stress that you can unquestionably taste the maple in it. The whiskey is a bit sweet by comparison with others, but it is definitely smoother than most as well. Other whiskeys can be rather harsh and difficult to drink on their own, but this one does fine without any help, I have found.

So far I've had it a couple times. The first time was rather late in the evening, and I realized too late that it was probably inconsiderate to put whiskey in my cocktail shaker with ice. I'm afraid I may have disturbed roommates, but the resulting whiskey straight up was awfully good. The second time was the other day, in mid-afternoon. It was my hope that the whiskey might loosen my inhibitions enough to make me press ahead with an idea, but I had no such luck. Instead, I spent all too much time chatting with friends online.

Such is the doubled-edged sword that is even a more top shelf liquor. Of course, for me any liquor that does not come in a plastic bottle falls in the category of top shelf liquor, but this Maple rye is pretty good by anyone's standards. I don't know how long it will hold out given my appetites  It may last a very long time. Anyway, when it does give out, I mean to replace it with a new bottle a little more promptly than I did the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?