Thursday, May 2, 2013

Extolling "Executive Suite"

When I was entertaining the idea of writing about a favorite film of mine, "Executive Suite", I realized that I might have written about it before. While I don't work as strenuously as I once did to avoid repeating myself, this was a time when I decided to check. I found, happily enough, that I had mentioned it in passing twice, but never really got into. I was glad, because I knew it would be a pleasure and I hate scratching an idea for any reason.

It really is a great film. I was turned on to it by a teacher during my charter school days. He got those of us in his class into a whole range of things, from chess to computer animation to computer networking to films. Executive Suite was one of them, and I think his idea was to impress on us sound business practices or some such thing. The film concerns the executive vice presidents of a furniture company, a number of whom are jockeying to replace the suddenly deceased company president.

If it sounds boring, I can't fault you for thinking so, but I find it terribly compelling. That the drama of the story is relatively mundane by comparison with zombies and spies may be a drawback for some, but I find it better for that. It's a remarkable story of power and the struggle to obtain it as well as the ease with which one can be corrupted by it. I do wish more people would see it, but God knows I don't have the persuasive powers to make it happen.

It has a hell of a cast, as well. It starts with William Holden, but there is also Fredrick March, June Allyson, Nina Foch, Barbara Stanwyck, Walter Pidgeon and more. I guess those names don't cut any ice with most people, but I adore them myself, and the film as a whole. It was rather innovative, being one of the first films to have credits over actual filmed footage, and also eschewing the convention of having a musical score. I say you should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?