Thursday, October 20, 2011

Walkawalk

When I think about it, I do an awful lot of things based on a whim. Women find such spontaneity appealing, right? It must be a good thing. Something I often decide to do on a moment's notice for little reason is to walk someplace. It's free, and when I have the time and energy it sometimes seems like the most logical expenditure of both I can imagine. If I'm going to be alone in either case, the more social thing would seem to be a walk.

I'll do it anytime. Sometimes I'll feel the urge to go down to the lobby. I'll look out the front door and want to walk out to the street. I'll look up and down the street and walk out to the main road. I'll repeat that and start walking down the main road. I'll then develop a plan to walk some circuit which may take a few minutes or a lot longer. There's really no objective except that I feel compelled to walk around and look around.

I did this a number of nights ago. I can't say why, but I had to go out, and there was nothing valid to go out for. Why let that stop me? I found myself going every which way. I was out walking around for something like an hour. I may have covered a couple miles, but it's hard to say for sure. I just kept seeing new goals to shoot for. I would notice something I hadn't looked at, something I wanted to walk past, an incident to figure out. It was all very interesting.

I sort of hoped that a subject suitable for writing would come up, and a number of things might have piqued my interest, but didn't really. I guess there's really no story here except that I voluntarily walked a neighborhood that I know fairly well until my feet were sore, and then I walked back home having achieved little else. It still feels like something more worthwhile than to have sat around in front of the computer or television. I can say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?