Friday, October 21, 2011

Art Of Which I'm Not Part

I have been going to some art galleries lately. This is not entirely a new experience, as I have been a few times in the past, but it is presently fresh in my mind. For that I must credit certain friends who tend somewhat more towards the legitimate visual arts than I would myself. I can't say what the experience is like in other cities or in other levels of the art world, so I won't contrast but I will say what my experience has been.

For some reason, artists that I have seen are greatly enamored with the work of others, and so much of what I see is a tribute in some fashion to a movie or a tv show. This is not invalid I suppose, but neither would I regard it as entirely productive. What I create I hope serves me (and of course humanity). I wouldn't think to serve someone else whose work is already well-loved and lucrative. They can handle things. I still have yet to make it, so my labors continue to be self-serving.

The art is a mixed bag of mixed media. A little while back, I went on something of a art crawl. There were bits of art on the walls in several of them, two featured bands and one had a series of short horror films. It wasn't boring, but one of those bands must have diminished my hearing some. I wouldn't think of legal action, as the lead singer was as energetic as she was loud and didn't seem like the type to settle her differences in court.

I think I must look something like an artist. I had on that same night dressed in jeans, a brown collared shirt and a grey wool jacket. I was looking pensively at one piece when a man questioned whether I was its creator. Incredulously, I denied it. Is that what artists do- gaze at length at their own works in the hopes that someone will notice and grant them praise or, God willing, buy the piece on display? If so, then I am most of the way towards being a real artist. The creation of art is just a detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?