Thursday, October 27, 2011

A-Jar

I wrote some time ago about beginning to favor the use of glass jars for drinking water. I use them almost exclusively at home, but do use plastic bottles away from home in most cases. There are certain situations in which I take a glass jar away from home, one of them being my improv comedy class. It happens to take place just a few minutes' walk from my home, so it's fairly convenient to do so. I didn't imagine I'd arouse any comment.

In fact, each class seems to bring fresh interest and incredulousness. I in turn am in disbelief. I can scarcely see any real novelty in the situation at this point. I was excited by the idea of doing it, but it really seems like a kind of obvious thing to do. Plenty of people drink from both glass vessels as well as ones with lids to seal them. In this, I only am combining those two things. I suppose it's reasonable to be bemused once, but these are people who have seen it plenty of times.

I will confess that I am of mixed opinions on this. I make sure to use the jar when I go to glass partly because of the reaction that it brings about. That must make no sense, but at the same time that I am annoyed at people's response to my jars, I am also gratified by the attention it garners. I suppose that people do worse things more detrimental to their reputation in order to get attention, so it's really not so bad.

I guess something's got to give. Either I stop with the jars, relieving others of the annoyance as well as my self (but also denying myself the thrill of notoriety), or eventually it will finally stop being of interest. If the latter should happen though, I must see my way clear to doing without the parenthetically noted thrill of notoriety, or else gain it through some other means. I just am very thankful that I need not decide on all these points today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?