Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sometimes It Comes Back

Often, I write to exorcise something consuming my thoughts. This is commonly what lies behind the more vitriolic rants found here. I find it to be a healthy outlet for great anger. Other people vent it at strangers with inconsequential near-car accidents as a pretext, but I can't do that, so I do it here. I don't know if that makes for my best work, but it makes for my most motivated work. I wish I always had such obvious stuff to write about.

Something unfortunate is that I never have felt at ease writing about the same thing twice. I'll cover something at length if it was only mentioned in brief, or I'll come at something from a fresh angle or with a different perspective. I just won't do the same thing twice. Regrettably, that precludes me from venting my anger about something again, leaving it to fester if it returns. Return it does, and all too often for my liking.

What is there to do? I can only surmise that my work was of insufficient quality or reach to dissuade the people and things who anger me from doing what they do. I known enough not to spin my wheels if the one thing I can do didn't work the first time, but what would be the equivalent here of laying down some wooden planks to drive out of the rut? It's terribly frustrating. I don't see any sense in reposting the same words or in trying to find different words.

I guess the only thing is to live with the things you can't change. I have to live with people who write bogus open letters to people they could just tell the thing to. I have to live with people who write poorly or who can't be quiet in the library. If I can't, the only thing to do is to get away from it all. It worked for Thoreau, but not so well for Kaczynski. Hopefully it won't come to either outcome if I can manage it, because for all its frustrations, living among people has its upside as well. It just doesn't come to mind so easily sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?