Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bump And Run

When you go out of the house, you go with the expectation of being alone or with people. In my life, it has generally been my experience that when I start out alone, that doesn't change by surprise. I guess that's mainly been due to a dearth of friends on my part. There was not no one to bump into exactly, but so few that it didn't really happen. I have often run into strangers, but there's nothing remarkable about that. It can't really be said that you're "bumping into" someone you don't know. What's happened now, though, is that the numbers of those who I know are making rapid gains against those who I don't know. More interesting still is how highly concentrated many of them are in my own neighborhood. It makes for some rather startling moments.

Few friends live up where I do in North Hollywood. Even so, that seems to be where many unexpected encounters happen. Numerous times I have run across several particular friends while patronizing my local lending library. There is one who for some time I have looked around for every time I go there, so often does she herself visit the library to avail herself of the free wireless internet. Now there are a few others who I may hear calling my name as I walk towards the building or away from it. As I said, it's an incredible shock to my system. I still don't expect it to happen, because I see even my friends existing on another plane given that they drive and I don't. It's like they flit around high in the air above me, often near but still always far. Thus, to see them while out and about is like seeing one's clergyman at a bar or some such thing.

The issue for me is learning how to handle such impromptu rapprochement. I have a plan and a attitude for each trip out of the house. The latter matches the former as form follows function. When a plan for getting things done has me marching around vigorously with my head down, and then a good friend steps into the picture, I have to change gears. That's not easy for me. What results is what seems from my end to be some awkwardness on occasion. I want to spend time with the friend in question, but I'm fighting the urge to continue on with my planned business. A balance ought to be found.

Of course, it's still a wonderful thing to have happen. Maybe the most appropriate simile that of a cold pool.  An unnerving jolt at first, but so pleasant thereafter that one wonders about what could possibly have motivated the initial reaction. It's been a real boost to my morale to be so regularly reminded now of the people around me who like me and care about me enough to greet me instead of just notice me. I hope only for it continue burgeoning as it has, compelling me to grow in sociability along with circumstances. It's another challenge that might be avoided via the "hermit solution", but one which I certainly don't want to take that tack with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?